Ever wonder how people seem to find the perfect item at a great price at estate sales? Do they have a special “in” or secret? We’ve found that planning and strategy make all the difference when it comes to estate sale shopping.
Here are a few of our favorite tips and tricks to get the most from your estate sale shopping experience:
1. Arrive early. In the busy summer season, for the best deals, you will want to arrive up to an hour prior to the sale opening time to get a place in line. Here in Nashville, it’s customary to bring a shopping bag or box to mark your place in line if you wish to wait for a bit in the comfort of your car…but get ready to line up in person as the sale time approaches.
2. Take advantage of discounts. While most sales start at full-price on the first day, the price will drop on subsequent days. If you’re looking for a real deal, head out to shop on the last day of the sale. (Hint: at Michael Taylor, we offer a 20% off code good on the FIRST day of our estate sales to email list subscribers…subscribe and save!)
3. Don’t like the price? Leave a bid. If you fall in love with an item, but the price is more than you prefer to spend…most sales offer the option to fill out a written bid form with your best price. At a certain point in the sale, the estate sale staff will evaluate unsold merchandise. If your bid meets their requirements, they will contact you by phone and let you know that you’ve got a deal!
4. Keep measurements handy. With estate sales, the time to buy it is when you see it, but knowing that a furniture piece is the right size will help you make confident buying decisions. We have tape measures available at all of our sales to help you figure out if the perfect dining room table will fit your space, but it’s best if you have the dimensions of the piece you’re looking for with you.
5. Bring a friend! Our estate sales are packed with great items. A shopping buddy can help you lift and load items, and is another set of eyes to help you find just what you’re looking for. Plus, it’s more fun to shop with a friend.
6. Shop for the opposite season. Christmas stuff is less popular in July, and we’ve got lots of lawnmowers for great prices in January. Buy for the next season, and you’ll save money for sure.
And remember…the more sales you visit, the more likely you are to find the treasure you’re looking for. Get out there and have fun…we’ll see you at the sales!
Michael Taylor and Company